Thursday, August 04, 2005

Commute report

Miles when I got to work: 2128.8

Of interest: Congrats to the husband on converting the 6-speed Lotus from his teen years to a very pretty fixed gear bike. Watch out hipsters, next thing you know it, husband will wear black-framed glasses, carry a hip messenger bag, wear Pumas and sip non-Starbucks coffee/chain-smoke all while riding his fixie in the city.

Also of interest: The over-100 heat index hasn't really gotten to me. People keep asking, 'So, you're riding in this?' and I just don't get what's so bad about it. It feels wonderful, like I'm under my down comforter, relaxing. I am certainly not going all out, and I'm drinking more water than usual, but I must say I enjoy riding in the warmth. After all, I know what it's like to ride in the winter: HELL.

Nonbike: I've been playing with Peekaboom, and I have a few observations.

  • The purpose of Peekaboom is sweet: teaching computers to see.
  • It's fun that you get a different partner for each game. Most of the other players are pretty good.
  • I like how you don't learn who your partner is. On the other hand, it's fun to "converse" with your partner by writing messages in the guessing area.
  • The game's image database isn't huge. I've gotten the Osama bin Laden image (correct answer: rock) about four times.
  • Some of the images in the game are ODD. See above.
  • There's no correlation between some of the images (small percentage) and their designated words. You must skip these images.
  • The game FAQ does not address how the programmers chose the game images. I figure they wrote a program that pulls them automatically from the web. It looks like the word match is based on the photo's filename.
  • I tried playing during my lunch hour and folks must be playing during work time because two of my partners left the game. I can only guess that their bosses turned the corner and they had to Ctrl-W.
  • It took about 4 hours to get sick of the game. There's not much thinking involved once you get the hang of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home