Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Non-commute report

Miles today: Zero. Big fat zero. Had to go to some off-site strategic planning day thing and had to drive there.

Then, just like the comedy gods had planned, everyone in the entire universe -- I spotted five people, which is quite a high number for my area since I rarely see more than one other bike commuter in an entire day -- decides to bike commute home.

Perhaps everyone was bike commuting because it was A BEAUTIFUL DAY AND WE WON'T GET MANY MORE BEAUTIFUL DAYS THIS YEAR. PRETTY SOON WE'LL BE DIGGING OUR CARS OUT OF THE SNOW.

Yes, our off-site meeting had to take place on the nice day, the one with temps "above normal highs" as the weather man said on TV.

There's the whole gamut, including Practical Man, in his commuter-style helmet, Dockers, plaid button down and nicely outfitted (and complete with rear paniers) commuter-style bike.

I was so frustrated about driving to work that upon spotting a different bike commuter -- "I have a so-so 80's roadbike but I can still manage to look like a total hipster" -- I lowered my window and shouted "WOOOOOOOO!" No doubt he thought I was an evil car making fun of him or trying to scare him or something. I should have clarified my screaming with "GO BIKE COMMUTER GUY!"

Finally, I can't recount my bikeless day without the handy lime green team kit fellow. He was obviously headed up to the park near my work, as those other team kit folks have been heading in the same direction on Tuesdays. For him, I wanted to play team car and offer a bottle of water.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home